What’s Up With MAP Testing?

Sergey Zolkin

Used with permission from Unsplash.

Map testing

Nwea.org describes MAP testing as a computer adaptive test. This means that every student gets a different set of test questions that depend on previous responses. If the student answers correctly, questions increase in difficulty. If the student answers incorrectly, questions decrease in difficulty. Thus, it adapts to the student’s proficiency level.

The purpose of MAP testing is to determine what students already know, and what they need to learn next. MAP testing is not a timed assessment, but most students complete it in under an hour. Most schools assess students with MAP growth tests at the beginning and end of the school year, for a comparison of growth.

CDS assessment coordinator Ms. Melton states “The administration and assessment team saw huge gaps in growth from the 2021 spring testing to the 2021 fall MAP testing. As the Lead Assessment Coordinator, I felt the data could be skewed as a result of remote testing from home, and the natural distractions that arise from doing so. We did not feel the fall data report was a reflection of the students’ growth, and felt the need to conduct a winter test to confirm or deny the fall results.”

Ms. Melton also listed different ways MAP test scores are used. She states “MAP test scores are used in many ways. Teachers can use the data to differentiate instruction, Identify students at risk of academic failure, inform a learning plan, predict college readiness, help teachers set student goals, make projections on state and national tests, like the SAT and ACT, and inform parents about student progress”.
Map tests are very useful to assess students’ progress.