The Carline Blues

Lucian Alexe

Used with permission from Unsplash.

Here at Carrollwood Day School, one of the most prominent issues has always been the carline. However, the high school dropoff line this year, especially in the morning, seems to be even worse than it was last year, often causing students to be late to class. Every morning and afternoon, Monday through Friday, Bearss Ave. is slammed with people entering and exiting, causing major backups and traffic issues, affecting not only those in the carline but those passing by on Bearss as well. Both the pickup and dropoff lines have pretty much been equally as bad throughout the middle and elementary school. Not only have I experienced the extra 15 minutes it takes to get through the line in the mornings, but I’ve also heard others talking about it. “I find it to be much longer than last year.” Sophomore Vasili Sotiropolous says. “I think it’s a minor inconvenience, but it doesn’t hurt for the school to take action to make it quicker.”
One speculation for the long line could be the slow start to the school year, as we all started online due to the construction of the new building. The transition from lazy summer to a busy school year takes a few weeks of adjustment, especially since we didn’t really have a traditional, “first day.” Another cause could just be the enrollment. This year called for a record number of new students enrolling, causing a somewhat waitlist to be implemented.
As the school year progresses, there is hope that the morning dropoff line will decrease in length and wait time. More student drivers will begin to surface, (alongside their “skip the line” privilege,) causing less parking lot loop traffic. In addition to this, CDS security officers stand in the loop every morning to help with the flow of traffic. It is through these efforts and more that we hope for the carline dropoff issue to be resolved as we all settle into this 2021-2022 school year here at CDS.